Moving can be a huge hassle, especially if you have pets. Pets can't handle stress the way people do, and they can't communicate as we do either. As such, it is important to take time to understand the best methods of moving your animals so that you don't have to consider giving them up to a shelter in your area. Moving with your pets is possible, and it doesn't have to be a nightmare, as long as you consider the following information.
Pets Need Routine
The number one thing that you should always remember when you are moving your animals is the fact that they need routine from one day to the next. Here are a few ways that you can help keep their feet on the ground, so that they don't feel as if everything in the world is changing around them.
- Feed them at the same time every day, and keep this time normal as it was before the moving process began.
- Don't pack their toys or their bedding until the last minute. Do what you can to keep these items in the same location of your home as well.
- Exercise and play time should be the same as well. If you walk your dog every day at one in the afternoon, do what you can to keep this time the same.
Another important thing to consider when you are moving your pets is how they are going to be moved to your new home. There are a few different options open to you when you are relocating, including the following. Generally, all people who are moving with pets choose one of these, but don't trust our word for it. Go online and research these options to make sure one of them is right for you.
- Air Transport - Travel by air is a popular choice even for people who are not traveling by air themselves. Sometimes it is faster and less stressful on your pets to buy them a freight ticket and have them shipped to an airport near your new home. Just make sure to contact the airline you choose first to see what kind of regulations they require you adhere to.
- Specialty Companies - There are special pet transport companies out there that can help you get your pet from one place to another. Be sure to research these companies well, however, and speak to others who might have used them in the past to see if you are hiring someone you'd want to care for your pet.
- Car Travel - A lot of people simply transport their pets by themselves in their own car. If you are someone who doesn't want to spend the money on air transport or a travel company, but you don't mind booking only pet friendly hotels along the way to your new home, then this might be the best option for you. Just remember that your pet will have needs along the way, so research what you should bring and have it on hand during the move.
Regardless of your travel plans, or what kind of pet you have, there is a very likely chance that you will need a little extra time to spend with them to ease their mind. Pets can have a very difficult time with things when they think their entire world is falling apart, which is how it must seem for them during a move. Thankfully, if you follow the advice set forth in this article, you can rest assured that you're doing all that you can to make their lives easier. Remember these things, and spend some extra time petting and soothing them to make it simple for you to complete your move with your pet in tow.
Learn more about handling a move with pets by hiring affordable moving companies by visiting the author's blog.
About The Author:
(Read more posts by Guest Author)
Posted in: Animals,Useful Guides by Guest Author on October 22, 2013 @ 1:06 pm